21 May 2013

Close, but no cigar!

Unfortunately I flew out the day the Writers' Festival began
Bright modern sculpture in the portico of a city office block
To cut to the chase my book did not win the 2013 Community Relations Commission for a multicultural NSW Award, in the NSW Premier's Literary Awards, but I did have a fantastic night and a brilliant trip to Sydney.
On Sunday night the Mitchell Library Reading Room at the State Library of NSW was transformed into a festive book-filled space. As Craig and I walked in champagne and canap├ęs were being served and a pianist accompanied a stunningly tulle-wrapped singer. The atmosphere was relaxed elegance.
At my table were two other shortlisted authors, Michael Sala whose book The Last Thread won in the New Writing category, and Ouyang Yu who was shortlisted in the translation prize. I met some other great people too, including one of the judges. I ate some lovely food, drank wine and felt very honoured to be there.
Over the day before and the day after I had the chance to enjoy some Sydney sights and sunshine. Here are a few pictures.



Brunch at Bill's (his famous ricotta hot cakes - divine!)


A row of terraces in Surrey Hills

Surrey Hills graffiti



The Mitchell Library on the big night

2 comments: