22 January 2013

Elvis is King


A friend on Facebook mentioned that she's seeing Elvis Costello this week. She said she first saw him 33 years ago. I remember the gig, he was much maligned for playing a very short set and leaving the stage abruptly. Unfortunately for me, I didn't get into him until just after that show. And so the first gig of his I saw was a whole five years later: June 1985. By then I had had his first three albums on constant rotation on the turntable in my room. I love the first two: My Aim is True and This Year's Model, but the one that still makes my heart skip is Armed Forces - one riff of Oliver's Army and I'm up dancing.
I think I can even credit Elvis Costello for getting me into country music. I bought Almost Blue in 1981, wondering what the heck was going on, but since then have come to appreciate this genre of music.
It's been a while since I've bought a new Elvis Costello Album; and though I saw him play again in 2006 (I think), I will not be seeing him on his current tour. Still, he's someone I would still pay to see and will always love. Have a good tour Elvis.

This picture taken, developed and printed by me in 1985.

1 comment: