02 November 2012

NaNoWriMo

Yesterday I began the month long adventure that is NaNoWriMoNational Novel Writing Month. It may have started in the USA but it is national no more – it is international! 
The concept behind it, is to write a lot every day for one whole month. Although the writing will need editing and rewriting, it means you get into the swing of producing words and free up the critical part of your brain. I think a lot of writers would agree that that is a good way to go, to gain productivity. A while back I read "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott, and she advises to do a "shitty first draft". Meaning – get the words down and don't worry too much  about how good (or bad) they are. Same deal.
I first participated three or four years ago, and although I never did reach the 50,000 word target, I found it a very useful exercise. This year it's come along at a great time for me. I'm getting very tired of promoting my book and long to be creative again. Yesterday I wrote 1,339. The daily target is 1,667 in order to reach 50,000 words by the beginning of December, so I will need to make up the shortfall, but I was fairly pleased with that for the first day.

2 comments: