14 September 2012

The Face & The Pretenders


The magazine boxes had been collecting dust for almost a decade, atop of my wardrobe. I dreaded to think what state my Face magazines would be in. Although I treasured them, I just hadn’t  the shelf space to properly store them. When we recently had the house painted, the boxes came down and I browsed through these artefacts from the 80s and 90s.
I remember vividly buying my first copy, issue 9 with Suggs from Madness on the cover. I couldn't believe my eyes - a magazine with all the cool British bands I loved, who were virtually unknown in mainstream Australia (at the time). I bought every copy after this, for many years and looked forward to see who would be on the cover. The design of The Face was also exciting - Neville Brody has since become a graphic design god. The photography too was always brilliant. Check out this fab picture of The Pretenders by Anton Corbijn. I've chosen this picture to share because I get a ton of hits from people searching on Google for something about the Pretenders. 
Please leave a comment Pretenders fans and I will dig out and scan some more photos for you.

5 comments:

  1. We are the Pretenders!!! Great photograph, great band, great mag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when I come across stuff like this! I can actually get that same feeling I did the first time I saw something! Such a happy feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look great. I didn't have access to it The Face this time period as I wasn't around any import magazine shops. Later when I was in college a British music magazine called Select had a somewhat similar effect on me (though it wasn't as much for the graphic design or photography, just enjoyed reading about bands I was just getting into and the frequent mix tapes of UK bands glued to the cover of the magazine).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe what you posted made a ton of sense. However, what about this?
    what if you composed a catchier title? I mean, I don't wish to tell
    you how to run your blog, however suppose you added something that makes people desire more?
    I mean "The Face & The Pretenders" is a little boring.
    You should peek at Yahoo's front page and see how
    they create post titles to get viewers to click. You might add a related video or a
    pic or two to get readers excited about everything've written.
    In my opinion, it might bring your posts a little bit more interesting.


    my web site - novoline online spielen kostenlos ()

    ReplyDelete