21 August 2012

The Full Round-up


21 August 2012
52 years old
Melbourne
Apart from my wedding day, I don't recall another time so many people have been focused on little ol' me. It was all very exciting, nerve wracking and fun – all at the same time!
The day started with a trip to my parents' house to pick up most of the food. Nothing is too much trouble for my mum and dad when it comes to their children. Though they are both near 80, a time in life when it's the "kids" turn to look after them, my parents insist on helping us all out any way they can. They are truly amazing. Mum had platters of pita all ready for me to pick up. Her neighbour and best friend "Aunty" Tina, as well as Aunty Eva had also dropped off food. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
So we loaded the car with the food, wine, soft drinks, plastic cups, tea, coffee, tablecloths etc and drove into town. Several trips from the car to the venue later, we began to set up; and although a few people arrived early they were happy to help get the show on the road.
It was just so wonderful to see so many friends and family all in one big room. I've long wanted to have a BIG party, but our place is too small, and more crucially we only have one bathroom. So I didn't have a big party when I turned 50. Well, this was going to be a my big party.
There were friends from high school, friends from my band days, work friends,  mums (and dads) from Ali's school, Jono who I wrote and flatted with but hadn't seen in over 10 years, friends of friends (Geoff) who I'm now friends with, David who I travelled with, Louise from my sister's mothers group who (again) I'm now friends with, Nic and Bernie from my brother's work who (again) I'm now friends with. The parents of my close friends: Joyce, Barry, Fotini and Basili – that says a lot. Thanks for taking the time to come.
We're the type of siblings that if you know one of us, you know us all, so I have three fold the friends of most people! I am blessed with a brother and sister (Kosta and Christina) who are very much on the same page as me. We are all creative and I suppose idiosyncratic! I won't say "weird" – whoops, just did.
Gordon, my multi-talented publisher was there selling books, and after a short reading and an intro by my sister, I began to sign copies! I must say I absolutely loved it!! Chatting and signing and seeing everyone and their enthusiasm for my book. I do hope they enjoy reading it.
But the highlight of the day was my daughter's speech. I had no idea what she was going to say. Having recently won the Public Speaking Award at school (second year running) she was quietly confident, but nervous standing up in front of a crowd of adults, many she didn't know. I don't remember it all, but at the end she said something like: Even if my mum doesn't sell a lot of books, I think we all know that she's a good writer, a good person and a good mother.
What a day!

Can you believe some people came with cards, flowers and...presents!!! What about that bag!? Check out the other fab-u-lous things Louise makes on her blog.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a moving experience that was. And that bag is great. Go glad you got to have your big party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me cry....We really do have great parent, family and friends. Ali was ACE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds sadistic, but I love it when I make people cry...Thanks for the brilliant comment! x

      Delete
  3. Oh how I wish I could have been there...I'm so happy for you and ecstatic that you had such a great party..you deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel, and thank you for all your enthusiasm and support!!

      Delete
  4. "I think we all know that she's a good writer, a good person and a good mother".
    Says it all.

    ReplyDelete