08 August 2012

From our House to Share House


8 August 2012
52 years old
Melbourne
Although it was a downer that we missed out on buying our dream house last weekend, the good side is that have finally been motivated to fix a few things around our place.
Yesterday we had new carpet put into the bedrooms. When we bought our house I swore the first thing I would do was change the disgusting brown carpet in the bedrooms – so, twelve years later...
Today we have the fabulous Amanda (a mum from my niece and nephew's school) in our front garden, weeding. She is the Weeding Queen. And tomorrow the painters come in to fill in some cracks and freshen up the house.
Last Sunday we moved all the furniture out of the bedrooms, so that the rest of the house looked like a store room and we've only moved the bare minimum back in, so that the painters have space to get their job done.
Looking at our mattress on the floor today, I was reminded of all the share houses I lived in, from London to Prahran (here in Melbourne) and the chaos that is "the share house": people coming and going at all hours, running out of milk, battles over telephone bills, friends crashing on the couch, dust and dirt, cat hair – some of the best days of my life!

6 comments:

  1. I'm awful at DIY and gardening, gives me the willies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a nice room and it reminds me of my old mattress that rested on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think a lot of us did the mattress on the floor in our youth!

      Delete
  3. I love the ending, how you describe things that sound unpleasant but take it to that positive nostalgic conclusion, which I agree with. The only times I lived with other people outside my family were in college and my first job after college, and I miss that exposure to other people's lives, and having them in mine. That said I don't know if I would willingly take the blow to privacy... I'm torn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr Pink. It was fun at the time but I'm pretty sure I couldn't live that way again!

      Delete