11 August 2012

Dog Days of Summer


Today's post brought to you by the inventive mind of Jeremy Bates. I'm participating in his Dog Days of Summer Blog Hop.
I think many of the other bloggers will be writing about summer, but since it's cold outside and winter here in Australia, my topic is: If you could have the ultimate vacation ever, where and what would it be?
In a word – Italy. From the moment I got out of the train station in Rome, when I was 20 years old, and away from home for the first time, I was in love. What's not to like? It's beautiful beyond measure from its cobbled streets to amazing buildings and monuments, to the clothes, the people, the museums and artwork, and let's not forget the food. The food is a list of my favourites – Pasta, pizza and ice-cream. The holy trinity!
My ultimate vacation would see me go back to my favourite cities and towns: Rome, Venice and Lake Como; and explore places that I have yet to visit: Bologna, the Amalfi Coast and Sicily, to name a few. On this trip I would have the time to immerse myself in every different place, to learn the language properly, meet some local people and make friends. I would drink wine and eat lavish meals while enjoying magnificent views, I would sit and read in sunlit piazzas, I would find quiet spots to write in.
Now please excuse me, while I turn up the central heating. It's freezing over here!
Me in Rome 2005

Food store window in Venice 2005

The Basilica in Florence 2005

22 comments:

  1. I've never been to Italy though it would be fun - all those famous ruins to explore! Should have done it while I was living in England, though, and Europe was just a hop away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are so far away from everywhere here in Australia, or so it seems a lot of the time!

      Delete
  2. I love your trinity! I hope someday to explore all those places

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite happy with myself when I came up with that trinity too!

      Delete
  3. I recently went to Italy and it was just as you said. So inspiring and beautiful. While there, I was already planning the next trip. Hope you get there again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a special place. I hope you get back there too!

      Delete
  4. Ah, Italy! Like you, I've been once and would *love* to go back. Thanks for this reminder--you swept me up in your sunlit-piazza imagery :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely! I'd love to go to Italy and to see all of Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is so much to see. May I also suggest Greece, where I have LOTS of family!

      Delete
  6. That would be amazing. I got to go there as a child with my parents but never as an adult, which is a very different thing. Though I was treated as an adult by the prostitutes in Naples who flashed our car with their nipples. Naples nipples!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious as usual Mr Pink. Naples nipples - I can't stop laughing!

      Delete
  7. I NEED to go there one day!!! Make sure you stop by later to see what I did!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you as I wrote this Mel. And, your post today is fantastic!!

      Delete
    2. Awwww...you're so sweet! And thanks! I really hope it helps!

      Delete
  8. That sounds like an amazing trip and is filled with all the things I would do too! Great to meet you in the Dog Days blog hop!
    A2Z Mommy and What’s In Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too and thanks for hopping over. I will check out your blog now!

      Delete
  9. Lucky you! I've been to over 30 countries, but Italy is not one of them. I really do want to make that trip as a history buff. I could spend years there with that on my mind alone.

    Are you headed back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow 30 countries! I must work out how many I've been to, but don't think it's that many.

      I am lucky in that I've been to Italy 4 times. Once in my 20s on an art study tour, when it totally blew me away. A day trip to Venice, driving from London to Greece, when I was 26. A mad four days in Rome visiting a friend who lived there; and most recently in 2005 with my husband and daughter.

      But I'd go back again in a heartbeat!

      Delete
  10. I'd love to go to Italy. Have only ever been to Germany and Austria in Europe, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Austria and have only driven through Germany. I'll never forget the castles by the River Danube - very fairy tale-ish.

      Delete
  11. Oh, I love Rome. What a wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete