26 July 2012

Viva La Vinyl


26 July 2012
52 years old
Melbourne
I bought a record today: black with grooves, the real deal. I'm a child of the 60s and I still love vinyl. I resisted CDs for quite some time, though MP3 files less so. They are convenient, easy to search and portable.
What I like about records: 1. The size. Offering a larger canvas for cover art. 2. The sound. Warmer, grittier, real. 3. The tangible. You can touch them, hold them, physically flip through them; and the cardboard covers are so much nicer than brittle plastic CD covers.
But there seems to be a new (?) trend; buy the vinyl and download the MP3 files 'for free'. From inside the cover a note slips out with a code. The best of both worlds.
I still have my Smiths, Cure, Police, Velvet Underground records, but if you don't and would like to buy them now, go to Back to Black. Buy the record and download the MP3 files for one price. Bloody fantastic.
What did I buy? 'West' by Wooden Shjips. I've always been partial to psychedelia.


5 comments:

  1. I've never been a big psychedelia fan, but this works for me. Less spacy/guitar wanky and with a nice strong beat to it than the stuff I don't like. But having different tastes is what the human thing is all about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we (you and I) have enough common ground, while retaining our human individuality!

      Delete
  2. I enjoy the old school way of LP's. You're spot on with regards the cover art. I used to love staring at covers like the Beatle's "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and others. There was so much there and so many things hidden.

    I see LP's in the book stores and some of them are 3 times what they originally cost. It's best to get them in a yard or a garage sale, but then you're taking the risk of buying one or more that are scratched.

    By the way, I am hosting a blog fest August 10-12. It is called the "Dog Days of Summer." Stop on by and sign up!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the cost. I noticed a lot of the albums were $50!!

      I was actually in the bookshop looking for your book! No luck. I'll order it online.

      The blog fest sounds good. I'll go check it out. Thanks Jeremy.

      Delete