16 July 2012

The Pre-Digital Age

16 July 1988
28 years old
Living in London
Here I am at my drawing board, at work in Soho, in London. The digital age has changed the way many people work, particularly creative people: I mentioned photography the other day. The area of graphic design has also seen enormous changes. When this picture was taken very few studios used computers. Artwork was done by hand: pasting up type and leaving room for pictures that were stripped into film before plates were made.
I must confess I missed the hands on work following the widespread use of computers. I used to enjoy using brushes and markers and isograph pens, and coming home with black ink on my fingers. I guess it made me feel more like a 'real' artist.
Looking back, I believe my love of art and design lessened a little with the use of computers. Suddenly anyone who could use the software could bill themselves as a 'desktop publisher'. Many of these people had (have) no feel for type or design and do not know anything about art history, let alone have a passion for it.
But enough squabble, for I have left that world behind now. It's comforting and makes me feel a little smug to know that no matter how well a person can type and format in Word, they will have trouble passing themselves off as a 'writer'.


Thanks Mr Pink for the blog post idea!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Fran, what a lovely compliment. It was a great place to work so I was often smiling.

      Delete
  2. Wow, great to see this! A completely different way of working, not staring into a hypnotizing white light-emitting screen all day. The pink font is a wonderful whimsical touch at the end, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a great photo of you. I started in the graphic design field in 1992, just as computers were becoming useful. For many years, long after it was no longer necessary, we kept a wax machine and all of the equipment that went along with the non-digital age. I watched printers, designers, and photographers struggle with the change. Some dropped out. Some excelled. Some eventually changed fields. What I like about the digital age, though, is how we can now work as a team from anywhere in the world. An on-site location is no longer necessary. That is as much due to digital design software as it is to email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten all about wax machines!!

      Thanks for the reminder, and your very insightful comments. The digital age has certainly made collaboration around the world, in every field, much easier.

      Delete