12 July 2012

The Beatles vs The Stones


12 July 2012
52 years old
Melbourne
It's all about the Rolling Stones today: 50 years since their first gig at The Marquee in London.
Fifty years ago I was a little young for 'bad boys' and was oblivious to both the Beatles and the Stones, but not long after I was firmly in the Beatles camp and in love with Paul McCartney.
I've never got into the Stones in all the intervening years and have never bought any of their record. Though a few years ago I did buy a 'Best of' CD. I remember dancing at a club one New Years Eve to Sympathy for the Devil with my sister and brother. It's a memory I treasure. Christina and I were out together but hadn't planned on meeting up with Kosta. When we bumped into him at The Lounge just before midnight, well, it was one of those times when the universe seems to be looking out for you. I love my siblings and I do love that song, with it's relentless beat and its whoo hoos.
So Happy Birthday to the original bad boys of rock!!

9 comments:

  1. Yes I have never been a Stones fan either but I do like some of there songs. Sympathy for the Devil is probably my favourite. Thanks for reminding me of that new years eve, it was ACE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't call myself a die hard fan, but I generally like their music and have distinct memories attached to some songs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was firmly in the Beatles camp too - collected Beatles cards (wish I still had them!), lots of records of course. My first album was Rubber Soul. (And I expect I told you my claim to fame is that my father played cello on Sergeant Pepper!) But I do love the Stones - the bass in Under My Thumb was the first thing I really noticed, but also Gimme Shelter, even the odd 2000 Light Years, I like the edgy, off the wall tracks... (more John Lennon than Paul McC). And the Stones were always better to dance to than the Beatles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's an interesting Jean-Luc Godard movie called "Sympathy for the Devil" where he filmed them creating the song in the studio. It was neat to see them really suck at playing it at first and gradually figure it out. Interspersed with that footage are really bizarre mock scenes of youthful counterculture protest.

    Sounds like you had a good time -- that is a key to developing a relationship with certain songs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, but which band do you prefer? if either.

      Delete
    2. I don't really listen to either of them much these days... I guess I always related to The Beatles more. The Stones seemed too sleazy/cock rock for me. But I do like some of their songs a lot.

      Delete
    3. Pretty much the same for me.

      Delete
    4. I was a Beatles fan from a young age - perhaps ten years old or earlier - and then a Stones fan in high school, along with Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, and a few other similar bands. One of my very first dates and concerts was to the Rolling Stones at age 14. I drank too much, passed out, and missed everything except for Mick Jagger jumping on a huge inflatable dick. After that, it was back to the Beatles. Much more in my comfort zone.

      Delete
    5. What a great story Leslie!! That was the time to see The Stones, I think, the 70s (I'm guessing).

      Delete