14 July 2012

Standing in the Dark

Richard Butler, Psychedelic Furs 1983
14 July 2012

52 years old
Melbourne
I heard that hip young art school types are looking for non digital cameras in second hand shops, these days. In this era of Instagram and digital immediacy they are fascinated by film and the process of creating photographs thorough physical means: chemicals, light and paper.
In my art school days I spent many a lunch time in the dark room, developing photos from the gig the night before, be it a local act like The Church; or an international visitor, such as Robert from The Cure or Jim from Simple Minds.
I have worked with both processes extensively. As a graphic designer, my Photoshop skills are reasonably well developed. There is so much you can do digitally. But sometimes I long to go back and stand in the dark and watch pictures appear like magic. For me, it has more romance that sitting in front of a bright screen.
Today I am sharing a few old black and white pictures, that started life on film.
Anyone else you'd like to see old pictures of?



Siouxsie Sioux, Siouxsie & the Banshees 1983
Robert Smith, touring with the Banshees 1983
Julian Cope, Teardrop Explodes soundcheck '82


12 comments:

  1. Spent one or two days in a high school dark room too- yes it is magic when the image appears. Simple Minds and The Church are touring early Dec this year, sure it will be the digital take this time round and photoshop effects can be a whole lot of fun- but time consuming in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M?

      Photoshop can be fun, but I also get tired of sitting in front of the computer.

      I um-ed and ah-ed about seeing Simple Minds, but decided against it, same with The Church. I'm ready for seeing new bands, I decided.

      Delete
  2. Back in the days when you had to keep an eye on the picture count on the back of the camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd almost forgotten about that! Now people take hundreds of shots.

      Delete
  3. Your timing is crazy...are you at all familiar with the cartoon Futurama? If not...it takes place 3000 years in the future and a guy called Fry gets frozen for 1000 years and wakes up in the year 3000 and its all about him adapting to life in the future. Anyhow, the episode last week Bender, the drunken robot, became a photographer and had the last dark room in existence in his torso cavity (not as gross as it sounds as he is a robot and has no internal organs!). So..funny, yeah? Anyhow, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the pictures you post, so go crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we get Futurama here. That episode sounds funny!

      Glad you like the pics!! I will dig out some more soon.

      Delete
  4. I recently bought a new/old 35ml SLR. Here is a pic from my blog. I LOVE the way it looks and feels!!!

    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3ld71QeZu1rpvnq1o1_1280.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. You asked for old photography requests. You don't happen to have a photo of the design agency/studio where you worked in London? Just curious about what a happening graphic design firm would have looked like then, before computers took over.

    Speaking of design, I really like the new title font on your daily entries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a picture of me sitting at my drawing board, probably in the middle of doing some 'paste-up' - I will look for it! Thanks for the request!!

      It's a cute font isn't it? I was having a play around last night and found it. Nice of you to notice!

      Delete
  6. Any pictures of lovely Rowland S.H?

    My son was recently looking at a childrens book from the 80s - at one point the hero puts a film in his camera which confused my son no end! "Like a dvd?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny, "Like a DVD?" Priceless!

      I don't think I have any pics of RSH :-( so sorry!

      Delete