05 July 2012

Australian Music


5 July 2012
52 years old
Visiting Queensland
Not long ago we were driving past fields of sugar cane and banana trees in far north Queensland, playing music in the car and searching on the iPod for songs that were appropriate. We played Wide Open Road by The Triffids, Flame Trees by Cold Chisel and Electrical Storm by Ed Kuepper – brilliant Australian music.
As the miles flew by my mind wandered and I got to thinking. The Triffids were from WA, Ed from Qld, Chisel from SA. Lots of great Aussie bands were from Melbourne and Sydney, or to stick with my State-based classification, from Victoria and NSW, but were there any great bands from Tasmania? I'm sure there must be, but I can't think of a single one. Someone help me out here. 

For anyone short on time, or impatient, skip to the two and a half minute mark on this video, when it really kicks in!

3 comments:

  1. I found a Tasmanian band, Harik. They're called Sea Scouts. Had never heard of them, but they sound good! The lady drummer is now Melbourne based in several bands. Check this link for a Sea Scouts song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6e1YBZM-_4

    Liked the Ed Kuepper song you posted, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked "Electrical Storm" and well done on your Tassie mission! I will check them out now.

      Delete