03 June 2012

From Ecstasy to Misery in Amsterdam


3 June 1987
27 years old
Visiting Amsterdam
Sue and I went to the post office and then met our friends in front of the central station. I met Chris, she met Yolanda. We split up. So nice to see Chris again, we chatted and chatted. I told him all about Tony. We went to a second hand market, then wandered back to Kalver Straat, Dam Square, the red light district. Women in the windows, as I’d been told. Walked all day, I was exhausted.
…Discovered the modern art museum around the corner and then the Van Gogh Museum! I was deliriously happy to think it was less than 5 minutes from where I was staying! THEN I noticed a sign saying it was closed for the next 2 days. I had wanted to go today but Chris had lent out his museum card. I’m missing out on the ONE thing I wanted to see MOST.
Couldn’t believe it! Maybe we can change our flight to later Tuesday and see it then. I was stunned, from ecstasy to misery.

4 comments:

  1. This is completely irrelevant, but for some reason that museum was kind of a let-down for me. I'm not sure why. Loved being in Amsterdam, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not irrelevant, sort of good to know, even though I'm obviously well past the disappointment now - even I don't hold a bad mood that long! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I've never mastered the skill of drug inhalation!

      Delete