04 May 2012

My Japanese Coat


 4 May 1985
24 years old
Melbourne
Another useless Saturday in terms of homework. Cheryl rang and we caught up on another week.
In the evening I went to Lou’s 21st. I wore my grey dress from Japan and my new-ish checked Japanese coat. I looked nice – if I say so myself but to no avail – so to speak – no one really worth getting to know there. But I had a pretty good time. Caught up with Robyn and Cathy, that was good and chatted to a few other people. S was dressed up and looked super creepy with make-up on. She told me I was so cool and groovy and hadn’t seen me dance and tried to drag me onto the dance floor – urgh. I said – leave me alone, you’re embarrassing me! It was AWFUL!

I still have the Japanese coat, though I haven’t worn it for decades. It’s quintessentially 80s and cost me a fortune – or so it seemed at the time.

10 comments:

  1. Argh! Curious to see the whole coat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would need to be cleaned and pressed. It's a bit of a crumpled heap and unphotogenic. I'll see what I can do...just for you!

      Delete
    2. I can relate to this unphotogenic crumpled heap of yours! Don't go out of your way on this...

      Delete
  2. I think you could get away with wearing it NOW...The 80's are back in again...Is this the 3rd time since the 80's? It always looked good on you and groovy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I kinda want to see the coat too! Do you have a picture if you in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't Mel. I never wore it a lot, maybe 10 times? I might have to have it dry cleaned and taken out for a night on the town, especially as Christina thinks I could get away with it!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I wish I could remember. It seemed a lot then, but I was just a student. I will ask my sister if she remembers. I'd like to know too.

      Delete
  5. I did a search to see if I could find a photo of the garment elsewhere. No luck, but did see a few vintage clothes resellers in Japan selling garments of that make. Maybe you could resell it to the Japanese for a tidy profit!

    ReplyDelete