17 March 2012

The Pretenders


17 March 1982
21 years old
Melbourne
Rushed off to school for Design. William [lecturer] was a darling in his lovely grey pants and usual blue shirt. Learnt a fair bit, also showed me some shading tricks/techniques after class.
Came home, felt a million x better than yesterday. Alex rang. Continued sketching. Rang Cheryl. Alex came over and we drove to The Palais. “Mark + 3” on guest list, got in free. Yah! Kirsty and her sister from the Cure there. Talked to her about Jim darling.
The concert was good, but not my scene jelly bean. Too rocky. Chrissie’s the star and the best though.
Afterwards went to The Old Melbourne with C, A, Mark and Michelle (who was a dear). Saw Ray Davies, also the drummer and druggy guitarist in the bar. Spoke momentarily. Left. Drove A home. Came home tired, thinking of Jim.

Somewhat ironically, not two years later, Chrissie dumped poor old Ray Davies for Jim Kerr!

And sadly, exactly three months later, the ‘druggy’ guitarist James Honeyman-Scott was found dead – heart failure caused by cocaine intolerance. He was 25 years old.

4 comments:

  1. Somehow she met Kerr through your psychic energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn it! I was heartbroken when I heard the news.

      Delete
  2. I wonder what has become of your art education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked as a graphic designer for many years Roger, right up until about three years ago when I lost my job.

      I was already writing, and decided to focus on that.

      Delete