23 March 2012

Pop Star Correspondence File


Page 2, of 4

20 March 1985
24 years old
Melbourne
…Came home at lunch time, found C screaming. I had a postcard from Marty from Brussels and a letter from Porl from England. Felt pretty happy.
C was desperate for a Smiths poster. We drove to Southland, she bought me one too! We’re so into The Smiths. C especially. She’s in love with Morrissey, he’s pretty special to me too.

Observant readers will note that I have lapsed from my strict on-the-day-it-was-written blog rule, as I’ve lapsed from daily blogging. From now on I think I will blog weekly or every few days, as I would like to concentrate on my fiction writing. I hope you will keep reading What-She-Said.


10 comments:

  1. I can understand your decision, Harik. There's only so much time in the day for writing or diary hunting! This is a cool post, though... "I don't think the Thompson Twins like us anymore" is a great line. It would have blown my mind to get a postcard from someone like Marty saying "remember our band" as if there was a chance I had forgotten.

    Was thinking about how so much of this diary was made in an era before the internet, and how the internet gives a way of letting the reader construct their own story that they want to read out of your diary by clicking on the labels such as "Marty" or "art school" at the bottom of the posts so we can go back and build a story out of those threads as they weave through the pages of the diary. In the pre-electronic era, that's what indexes in the back of books were for, but most people didn't get to have someone go through and create an index for their diaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like that line too!

      And, can I say, your comments are always so interesting Mr Pink. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. By the way, I did a web search on the phrase "The Church" and the first two hits were their website and a Wikipedia page on the band. Given how common a phrase "the church" must be, that's pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, in reference to what I just posted, it dawned on me that may be a result of the web search personalization / tracking thing -- they know I like certain kinds of music and am not religious, so that's what they assumed I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the word index! Index card! Index at the back of a book! Index finger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if anyone has named their child "Index."

      Delete
    2. That's right up there with George Costanza's 'Soda' and 'Seven', as childrens' names!

      Delete