31 March 2012

My Hero


31 March 2012
51 years old
Melbourne
There is so much I love about Steve Earle. Firstly there is his music, from the country-ish twang of Someday to the rock of Copperhead Road – just brilliant. Then there is his politics: left of centre, liberal – right on. Last night when he played Jerusalem I furtively shed a few tears. I cannot not cry when I hear that song. Lastly he seems like a man who has led an amazing life, who has faced demons and come through to the other side, and learnt a lot along the way.
Although I’m generally against men having children very late in life (just because they can), I dislike it when men marry much younger women and refuse to have children with them, because they’ve been there and done that. They want the ‘benefits’ of a younger partner, but won’t take the ‘good’ with the ‘bad’. Of course I’m not suggesting having children is bad, but you know what I mean.
Someone I know has not had kids because her older divorced partner did not want to go through with the whole child rearing thing again. He basically made her chose between him and having kids, something she wanted. Anyway, Steve and his younger wife Allison have little John Henry and there’s a very sweet picture of him on dad’s lap at the mixing desk, on Steve’s latest CD, I’ll Never Get Out of This World Alive. It’s also the name of his first novel, which I bought last night and had him autograph. Yes I couldn’t help myself, I hung outside the back door of the Corner Hotel last night after the show and met my hero. He was very nice and obliging, re photos and autographs. Also there, were about 5 or 6 younger fans and my darling, ever-patient husband, Craig – my number one hero.


2 comments:

  1. SO glad you got to meet another hero of yours - it brings a certain smile hey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does. Thought of you standing there :-)

    ReplyDelete