05 March 2012

The last time I saw Tony


5 March 1988
27 years old
Living in London
…Andrea, Bruce and I decided to pop into the party in Brockley that Pete M told us about. It was just OK, didn’t stay long. Making our way out I saw a familiar face emerge from the crowd. I’ll never forget that image, the recognition of – Tony! I couldn’t believe it, but it was really happening. He (patronisingly) kissed me hello (on the cheek). We talked a little. I said we were leaving, he said he’d been dragged around all night to various parties and would rather be home watching telly (misery guts). I told him I had wanted to call him and tell him I’m OK, but I was scarred he’d hang up. He said he’d never do that to me. I told him I wasn’t deliberately manipulative, he said he knew it wasn’t deliberate, but it’s easy for woman to manipulate men. We didn’t say a lot more, we hugged and I honestly could hardly let go. I forced myself, after quite a hug. I was smiley and nice and cheery until I stepped out side, when I broke down completely.

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia. Many thanks to the photographer Stacey Harris

2 comments:

  1. oh how i hated when that happened. you do everything you can to hold it together and be strong, and thirty seconds later you just lose it and feel sick enough to die...

    ReplyDelete