30 March 2012

12 years old today


30 March 2012
51 years old
Melbourne
Happy Birthday to my gorgeous niece and god daughter! When she was born 12 years ago today, I was almost 40 and happily child less. When I thought of kids it was always through a filter of the options they would take away from me: spontaneity, freedom, you know the sort of thing. But after her birth I began to see the benefits. I saw how much joy she brought to my parents – she is their first grandchild, and how much fun she was, how her smile lifted a bad mood.
So, with still a fair bit of trepidation, I suggested to Craig that we think about the path of parenthood. Just over a year later, Ali was born. I remember my one year old niece looking into the bassinette at her new cousin, then looking at me, and back again. Now the two of them are the closest of friends. Parenthood may not be for everyone, but as for me I’m grateful everyday for one little girl that set me on the course of a truly life changing decision.

Ali and I baked a birthday cake yesterday that required six egg whites, as I dropped the unneeded yolks into a small bowl, my daughter said, “It looks like a flower.” Any one know what to do with extra yolks (yes Melanie, I’m talking to you!)?




9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Ali!!!

    As for the yolks...you could always freeze them for a day when you make something that.just needs yolks and no.whites - I can think of a couple cookie recipes that call for yolks only!!

    (And happy birthday to you too, Mama!! xx)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freezing!! Really?! I never knew. Thank you dear Mel.

      (BTW not Ali's b'day, but Sophia's. I didn't mention her by name, so it probably got a bit confusing with all the pronouns)

      Delete
    2. Well, I've had some anesthesia today too, so there is that!!

      Happy birthday Sophia!!

      Delete
  2. Meringues, Pavlova or egg white omelette to name a few!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions Angry, but it's the yolks I have spare :-)

      Delete
  3. look delicious hariklia nice bake, btw i follow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to have you on board. Thanks for following!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a fun cake with those crazy candles!

    ReplyDelete