17 February 2012

Reasons to be cheerful


17 February 2012
51 years old
Melbourne
A cheery post today, after yesterday’s self reflection/introspection. Inspired by Melanie’s post on I spy, with my little eye....
I discovered Hello Kitty when I was 14 or 15, in the stationery/gift section of Myer, a large Melbourne department store; more specifically, at Southland (a mall). In my mind’s eye I can still recall the nook where the bright merchandise was displayed, on the ground floor by the escalators. It was love at first sight.
I am not into cute things per se but Hello Kitty grabbed me from, I think, a design and love of colour perspective. Much later when I started my graphic design course at Swinburne, I discovered other people who felt the same way, aficionados of modern Japanese design. A college  trip to Japan in 1984 was like a trip to heaven – so much Hello Kitty stuff everywhere! I bought hankies, stickers, stationery (my other love, thereby combining two passions) and even some fabric, which I had my mum make me into a top.
I am almost 52 and I still love Hello Kitty, unfortunately my 10 year old doesn’t really feel the same way, she doesn’t mind it, but doesn’t share my devotion, doesn’t get excited about it the way I still do.
‘Oh it’s so cute!’ I exclaimed recently in a shop, about something Kitty-ish.
‘Why do you like it so much?’ Ali asked. It’s a little difficult to explain. I think you’re either a Hello Kitty person, or you’re not. The picture today is of some of my collection.
Please leave a comment if you love Hello Kitty.

And for more style and cuteness, visit http://everydresstellsastory.tumblr.com/ a new blog by my sister

6 comments:

  1. I love Japanese stationery as well, and still have a couple of things from when I lived there and got to roam such stores with my friends as a kid. I've never had the Hello Kitty bug, but liked a lot of other anime and manga art, more on the boyish side of things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Hello Kitty....LOVE cuteness....Thanks for sharing your love of not only Hello Kitty but collecting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember 1st seeing this in 84. A good friend of mine in high school who was from Hong Kong had a tin pencil case. It was so different to anything I saw. (neat, compact and cute at the same time.).

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I not see this before now??? I am glad you are feeling better, and I love it when I find out about yet another thing we have in common!! I think Ali might come around...my Sydney loves her some Hello Kitty. But I don't think that I really gave her a choice!

    ReplyDelete