16 February 2012

Life


16 February 2012
51 years old
Melbourne
I’m just back from a funeral, and exhausted from chatting, crying and eating cake. It’s strange how we often don’t know a lot about a person’s life until it’s over. We avoid conversations with older people, thinking they would have nothing of interest to say to us. I’m as guilty of this as anybody, and yet I know every life is a story or rather many stories.
There was certainly a lot to say about Uncle Ray, but what made the biggest impression on me was all the charity and volunteer work he did. Not like myself who collects money once in a while for the Red Cross and does canteen duty at my kid’s school, but 35 years of community service, from 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday. As the minister spoke I thought about what would be said at my funeral: a caring mother, a good wife, a creative spirit, a published author – not too terrible, but hardly impressive. And yet I do have convictions about many things and would like to make changes in the world.
Apart from the big and obvious things: an end to poverty and violence, I’d love to see a world where every child was wanted and nourished, where older people were valued and respected and where everyone cared more about one another, cared more about the environment and the other animals that share our planet. A world where people lead sentient lives. Fewer shoes, bags, phones, stuff and more love and good deeds.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Sis,

    Your post made me cry today. Maybe it's my mood. Maybe it's thinking of Uncle Ray. Maybe you just hit the nail on the head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps what is worse is that's it's often taken for granted. JKL did him proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are a tribute to him, and Aunty D.

      Delete
  3. Very well said. And I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Melanie. He was Craig's uncle but I was fond of him too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be remembered fondly by many around the world in 50 or 60 years time when you leave this mortal coil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Very sweet of you. And thanks for the lengthy time frame!

      Delete
  6. "Apart from the big and obvious things: an end to poverty and violence, I’d love to see a world where every child was wanted and nourished, where older people were valued and respected and where everyone cared more about one another, cared more about the environment and the other animals that share our planet."

    I think this is an incredibly powerful message which is well written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate your comment Roger. Sometimes I write things and wonder if people will think I'm corny.

    ReplyDelete