25 December 2011

Christmas Thoughts


Our mantlepiece and fireplace
Christmas Day 2011
51 years old
Melbourne
Ali has opened her presents from Santa and is now watching A Christmas Carol – the Jim Carey version, on telly. In an hour or so my parents will be coming over, and we’ll all leave for Craig’s mum’s house for lunch; and I’m trying to feel cheery.
Just in the last 24 hours I’ve heard so many sad stories: a family friend, a woman I adore who is a little younger than my mother, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s; one of my cousins has separated from his wife; a friend’s sister has died of cancer. It appears that tragedy does not take a break over the festive season.
I apologise for this heavy downer, on this happiest of days (though I imagine not many people will read this post today, so hopefully I’m not spoiling the day for very many people), but I just can not write the joyful post that I had wanted to. So I’ll just say, if you have them: hug your children, kiss your partner, parents and friends and cherish them.
I hope all my regular readers have a lovely day. Thank you for listening to my rants and nostalgic musings. I wish you health, love and happiness. Now to switch off the computer and go mingle in the real world! x

3 comments:

  1. xxoo, Hariklia. I wish you and your family health, happiness, and love as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear all of that. I really wish bad things would take a break for the holidays. Thinking of you today!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to hear from both of you, and right back atcha! xx

    ReplyDelete