31 December 2010

Happy New Year!


31 December 2010
50 years old
Melbourne
It’s nine in the morning and I’ve just put our Vassilopita, New Year Wish Cake*, into the oven. If we were in the northern hemisphere, in Greece where this cake originates, the heat from the oven would be welcomed; however here in the southern hemisphere it is summer, and today in Melbourne we’re expecting 38 degrees. So I’ve decided that our cake needs to be in and out of the oven before the heat of the day sets in.
Hidden somewhere in the Vassilopita is a silver fifty cent coin, it predates the current twelve-sided coin that is in circulation. It’s from a time when coins themselves had inherent (rather than just prescribed) value; a time when value itself and indeed values were more simple to understand.
Luckily some values are so self evident, so basic to all of us that they can never be queried. On this eve to another year and another decade, I wish you all health, happiness and love. Hariklia x

* The recipe I have used is from Tessa Kiros’s Food From Many Greek Kitchens, which I received for Christmas this year. The picture I have posted is also from this beautifully designed book.

7 comments:

  1. Finally a Vassilopita recipe we can trust. Thanks Hariklia, it has been great reading your blog this year and even though I know so much about you (my sister) I am still learning....Love Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing you and the family at mum & dad's for lunch tomorrow. Love you! Hx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG you two!!! What to cook Vegos that is why I have been procrastinating. What? When? I miss you.

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to another year and another new diary!

    ReplyDelete